Saturday 1 September 2007

Pineapples

I found myself wandering around Melbourne CBD early in the morning... See my other blog to see why... (Link to come when I've written the post).

I hadn't had a coffee yet and I was hungry...

After I'd dropped off my iPod to be repaired I was heading down Elizabeth Street toward Flinders Street Station, looking for somewhere palatable to eat.

Well I did find something and it definitely appeared more ‘loud’ than ‘palatable’. The Tropicana Juice/Food bar had thrown itself up all over the foot path as if Carmen Miranda’s hat had exploded … I must have walked past this shop a hundred times, the front is adorned with bags of Oranges and all the tables have whole Pineapples as centre pieces. The fruit all looks fresh so I’m guessing it doesn’t hang there too long.

I often wonder if this display fruit is consumed…? Do they use the shop front as a form of storage? I can imagine someone sitting at the table playing with the Pineapples or even worse poking something into them. And what’s with the oranges hanging up outside in the middle of the city, the fumes from all the cars, mixing and mingling with the fruit. Am I over analysing this? Well I hope the fruit is for display purposes only. Actually I’ll go in and ask them when I pick up my iPod. If it is display only then I’ll buy a juice, if they do use them, then I’m outta there!

What actually grabbed my attention was the sign advertising bacon and eggs on Turkish bread with a juice or coffee for $8. A reasonable priced brekky I thought and I am partial to eggs and I was dying for coffee.

The coffee was reasonable, I’ve gotten into the bad habit of sweetening my coffee so it makes bad coffee taste somewhat reasonable. But I did enjoy it.

There was a decent helping of bacon, which I know makes some people happy, I’m more interested in the eggs, they were okay, stuck together, but runny enough, thank god they weren’t hard, that wouldn’t have made me happy. The Turkish bread was toasted, I don’t think there was any butter on it, which made it a little dry but healthier and I was in that kind of mood so I think it was a successful breakfast choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment