Saturday 1 September 2007

The West

Well I used to be a resident of the West, I lived in Sunshine and in Melbourne that’s not really something that you want to bring up in conversation at a party.

For some reason, the west has a bad rap, it has a predominantly migrant population, compared to the whiter east. You can buy such a great variety of foods from markets and shops for such a reasonable price. As you would expect the shops cater to the local clientele and they might have smaller budgets, but they are also used to using such a variety of foods and often not what you would expect to be served in an ‘Australian’ meal.

Then there is Sunshine, I’m not sure why, but Sunshine has an even worse stigma, despite having such a lovely name. I moved into Sunshine temporarily as Jess had kindly offered a place to stay while I sorted my life out (see my other blog) and I ended up being there for 3 years. In that time, I feel that the stigma and reputation is unfairly earned.

It just so happens that I was in Sunshine for dinner. After spending the day moving the rest of my stuff out of Sunshine I ended up there for dinner and drinks. One of my favourite places to eat in Sunshine is New Delhi. As you might of guessed New Delhi is an Indian restaurant.

When I was living in Sunshine and riding a motorbike, I would often phone my order in as I was leaving work and pickup it up on the way through. My favourite dishes are the Dahl Maharani and the Eggplant dish that I can’t remember the name of… I just heard that the chef who opened the restaurant is from the Bombay Hilton (I’m guessing that it’s not at all like the Bangkok Hilton).

Tonight we had those dishes, but we also had the Chicken Korma. I’m not sure if it is because that was the last meal I will have in Sunshine in my old home, but it tasted fantastic, possibly the best Indian take away. The naan was even moorish, normally I get bored of it, but I couldn’t get enough.

If you find yourself in Sunshine, I wouldn’t eat anywhere else. Well actually there is Gold Leaf on Ballarat Road, I’ve heard that is quite nice. When I’m stuck for material, you’ll probably see a review of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment