Tuesday 4 September 2007

Devil's food

I went out for lunch with Namita, Alex and Glen, we headed down to Smith Street and aimlessly wandered away from the City. They hadn't really been down that way to eat before, and due to my days working at Myretsu I had.

We wandered down, past the vegetarian places due to Alex's carnivore tendencies, down over Johnston and we were about to cross smith when I saw this sign with a devil cartoon on it. I'm not sure what it was but I suddenly had this urge to eat there. So with no objections, Cafe Beelzebub it was.

The menu on the window seem reasonable and the specials board with the $10 hamburger and drink sealed the deal. Interestingly enough we noticed a sign on the window stating that they made the best coffee on Smith Street! I felt challenge, I had always bought my coffees at Bebida Cafe, obviously what I considered to be the best coffee on Smith! We'll see.

The ambience was okay, the service was okay, the meal was good. We all ordered each of the 4 burgers types: beef, vegie, chicken and lamb. The burgers came out open and on a plate with nicely done chunky fries. The lettuce on the burgers was ice berg and when closed there appeared to be a lot of real estate on the plate.

The burgers were really good, very tasty and it was a good meal. Any concerns over size were allayed as the after meal feeling was of satisfaction, not of being over done.

3 comments:

  1. I had the lamb burger. I don't think they should call it a burger though. But anyway... the only problem was that it was too hard to eat. Apart from that is tasted really good.

    PS. I'm not against eating vegetarian food... I'm just scared there will be nothing on the menu that I like. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW when I said too hard to eat I meant too messy... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coffee at Cafe Beelzebub is definitely better than at Bebida, probably one of the best coffee's i've had in Melbourne...you really should've tried it.

    Not sure now though as the barista left when they sold the place a few weeks ago.
    Sounds like you might've been there with the new owners, burgers used to be pretty big.

    ReplyDelete