Tuesday 28 August 2007

Ready Steady Cook!

One of my favourite cooking shows is Ready Steady Cook. I prefer the english version with Ainsley, he's great. In a pinch I'll watch the Australian one, I like the chef's but the host leaves a lot to be desired.

There comes a time when we can't be bothered going to the shop, or we are too poor to go, so I get all the food we have in the fridge and cupboards and lay it out on the bench... Then I brainstorm and come up with something. It usually works, tonight I ended up making a risotto like dish out of brown rice.

Here's what I did:
I cooked up some bacon and chicken thighs in some butter. I had stuffed up and bought thighs which still had the bone so I just cut of bits of the meat and chucked the bones in the mix, I thought it might add some flavour and could be fun to eat the rest of the meat off the bone... Sorry if you are vegan. I threw in some corriander seeds and other spices.

After the meat had cooked through in went the brown rice and some chicken stock. Probably too much stock but I thought it could end up being a soup if it all went to cactus. In went what ever vegies we had: broccoli, taters, spanish oinion (I like to use these oinions because the look prettier than the brown ones, you can blame Jess for that habit) and corn kernals. I think that was it.

Well it cooked and cooked and cooked... I was okay, definitely no where near the best thing I cooked and it tasted too corny. Eating the very tender meat off the bone was good and probably the highlight of the meal for me.

Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment