Wednesday 29 August 2007

Borsch, Vodka & Tears

Well... Melinda wandered into the area where I sit this afternoon and asked 'What are you doing tonight...?' Well it doesn't take much to get me to go out and I do love to eat and drink out, so I said 'hey... Let's do something...'

We decided that we would go somewhere we hadn't been for a while, south of the river was our destination. In Melbourne there are two distinct areas, north of the river and south of the river. The river I'm talking about is the Yarra.

On the south side of the river you have St Kilda, South Yarra and Prahran. Traditionally you might say that there is more money on the southside, the people who live there definitely like to think so. The north side is a bit more down to earth and grungier, I'd say it is a bit more artistic and hippy too. As for the money, it's Australia and all inner city suburbs are affluent.

Oh, there is the west to, but that's a different story and I'm sure I'll go into that at some later stage.

I digress and I can feel another story coming on (I'll talk about International Wednesday next time I go to Jim's Taverna in Collingwood). I had been to Borsch, Vodka & Tears a couple of times before. It's a vodka bar with over 100 European Vodka's and Polish Cuisine. I had dined there once before and enjoyed some Borsch with dumplings, which you should definitely try, but more often than not I had been there for the Absyinthe and Vodka, which you should most definitely go and try.

We started with champaign cocktails, I had a blueberry version and Melinda had lime. They were sooooo good we were going to ask for jugs to go.

The were booked out so we got to sit at the Bar and eat, this was good, we had the best veiw in the restaurant and all the drinks and cocktails were made in front of us. This did have the effect of both of us wanting everything that was on the menu.

Instead of have a main, we ordered and shared a variety of tapas like dishes. I really do need to remember what I eat or make notes at the time cos I'm lost for words. We kept eating and ordering more dishes they were that good.

We had Apple Pie's for desert, Cinnamon Vodka with Apple juice, garnished with, you guessed it, Apple and Cinnamon. Perfect way to finish a meal.

I highly reccomend Borsch, Vodka & Tears for both drinks and food. But I would book if you really want to eat there, it's not abnormal to be turned away if you don't have a booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment