Thursday 7 May 2009

Maedaya - Do it your self Japanese

It took Melinda and I a couple of years to finally make it to each others birthday, but last year for her birthday dinner we went to Sake and Grill Maedaya.

So when I heard that I would be eating with Ange and her friend Bex in Richmond, it was the first place I thought of to eat at. Ange had just finished work at Ministry of Dance and she was catching up with Bex Trist, a friend of hers from New Zealand, for dinner so I tagged along. Ends up that Bex also grew up in Plimmerton, where I had grown up so we had an instant report.

Neither Ange or Bex had been to Maedaya, so I got to break them in. Downstairs is this great grill and the experience on offer upstairs, which is where we were headed, is the reason I had brought them there.

The meal is something that you cook yourself. The menu is a wide range of raw meats from chicken to waygu and all the vegies you would expect to see in any japanese meal. Beautifully laid out images designed to whet your appetite and entice you to order and cook.

Once we had ordered the staff bought out this little BBQ like grill filled with hot coals and then out came the plates of raw food. The idea here is that you cook the food yourself and eat it fresh off the grill. Such a novel idea, I love to eat freshly cooked hot food.

I did most of the cooking, but then again, I love that kind of thing and the girls had lots to catch up on, so it ended up working out just right.

We had our fill of food and sake and the meal came to less than $20 each. We didn't go there for a cheap eat, that was just a bonus and the food was so healthy as it was all cooked on the grill and there was no frying involved at all.

This is a fun place to eat, where you can expect great prices and a healthy meal to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment