Tuesday 12 May 2009

Madame SouSou - I just ate it!

Oh my, I've just gotten home from dinner at Madame SouSou and I just had to write about it.

I was meant to go to Star Trek tonight with Mark, but we hadn't booked tickets, the good seats were all gone and the Gold Class options were all at really inconvenient times, so we decided the best option would be to join Stephen and Peta for dinner to celebrate her birthday.

Dinner tonight was at Madame SouSou's on Brunswick Street in Fitzroy. Now one thing I really love, if you hadn't realised by now is Melbourne food. Reviews I'm finding are coming thick and fast and for the purpose of this blog it's turning out to be an asset.

I'd been to Madame SouSou for breakfast and lunch before. Madame SouSou is a French Restaurant nestled in the South end of Brunswick Street, rich with ambience and atmosphere. Madame SouSou was chosen for dinner as the aim was to eat somewhere nice where the food would be top end without prices similar to the Labour Government's spending spree.

We started off with a bottle of wine, of course we went for a Marlborough Sounds Sauv Blanc. We tasted one from the Yarra Valley, but the more floral fuller taste of the Marlborough Sounds options beat it hands down. The service was great, attentive and friendly.

We share hors d'oeuvres; Mushroom Bruschetta and Calamari with School Prawn. It was tasty, cooked to perfection and devoured in no time.

The meals were served well apart enough for us to enjoy conversation and not feel rushed, it was obvious this was no fast food churn and burn place to eat.

For dinner Mark and I had the Braised Beef Cheek and yes, the idea of eating cheek was the reason I picked it. Stephen ordered the Chicken Ballantine, whilst Peta had the eggplant.

I'll show my ignorance at this stage and point out I had expected my beef cheek to be a piece of fatty skin similar to pork belly. I was surprised to see this decent chunk of beef to appear in front of me. The beef cheek was one of the most tender succulent and melt in the mouth pieces of meat I'd had; second only to wagyu.

Stephen's chicken was juicy, reminiscent of the country whilst Peta's eggplant proved why the waitress gave us that knowing look and approving comment when she delivered it.

Although stuffed to the brim we couldn't resist ordering desert. I had the Belgian chocolate mousse, Mark and Peta the Creme Brûlée and Stephen the winner of the round had the Chocolate Fondant. Our's were great but Stephen's hot fondant was rich and irresistible.

A sign of how good the meal was, is that I started blogging as soon as I got home and if it's the place Justin Timberlake eats when he's in town take the hint.

2 comments:

  1. Good great! Adding that one to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark. I've been meaning to go there FOREVER! Was it easy to get a table without booking?

    ReplyDelete